- Position type:
- Permanent and Full-time
- Exploration & Production (E&P)
- Date posted:
- May 16, 2022
- Closing date:
- May 31, 2022
Are you passionate about what makes complex capital projects really tick? Are you interested in how the Exploration & Production (E&P) world is transitioning? Do you love making connections and solving puzzles? Are you that rare combination of detailed and focused, yet you have broad interests and ideas? Do you enjoy analytical research work while also being comfortable in a client-facing role? The role is one with the potential for you to become a trusted advisor in your specialisation in Industry.
- Salary: Dependent on experience – up to £40,000 for exceptional candidates
ABOUT THE ROLE
Independent Project Analysis (IPA) has an opening in our UK (Reading, England) office for a Project Analyst, Exploration & Production (Upstream) position with a proven track record working on Capital Projects or analysing project feasibility in the upstream oil and gas market. Candidates will require strong analytical skills, intellectual curiosity, and a desire to contribute as a thought leader. The candidate’s interest in studying the factors that determine success in complex, technologically advanced projects and organisations is critical. The successful candidate will be required to carry out project analysis using quantitative and statistical data. Aptitude for and demonstrated skills to be a successful analyst include your ability to connect real life with the data and vice versa; to know when to ask more questions and when to just listen as well as how to back yourself as you learn and thrive.
IPA’s client portfolio includes world-leading companies in both the heavy and light industries around the world. IPA has offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, and Singapore; as such, major industry leaders globally rely on us to assess the health of their capital project systems and provide recommendations to improve their performance. IPA evaluates 1,000+ projects every year, developing very complete technical, business, and people histories from their front-end through early operation. These histories become the data we use to find what works and what does not work in capital projects. The IPA project databases are unique and the most comprehensive sources of capital project experience in existence. IPA also takes a leading role in empirical research into the drivers of better projects and project systems, using our extensive databases of past project performance.
General responsibilities of the Capital Project Analyst role include:
- Client-interfacing work to collect and analyse technical, cost, schedule, and project management data
- Writing reports with insight and a customer focus
- Delivering verbal feedback and public presentations
- Working directly with capital project teams and project organisations to improve business competitiveness
- An ability to conduct research on drivers of project success or failure using statistics and projects database
DAY IN THE LIFE
The Project Analyst will focus primarily on studies and client engagements related to oil and gas projects and companies. The analyst will collaborate with cross-functional groups within IPA and work directly with clients to address their questions and needs.
Project Analysts must have excellent written and oral communication skills, display the interpersonal skills needed to develop and maintain relationships at senior levels with client companies, and have a demonstrated aptitude for learning new concepts and applying them quickly. The position requires solid analytical skills, a proven ability to relate data and statistical analysis to real-world application, a track record of finding creative solutions to complex problems, comfort with ambiguity, and flexibility in thought and/or approach. The successful candidate will work well in teams but also be capable of managing multiple projects independently and have experience in applied research or consulting.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s degree (preferred) or equivalent in engineering, science (physics, chemistry, petroleum, geology), statistics, operations research, economics, or allied fields
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience operating in oil and gas
- Proven record of carrying out independent research or using using a variety of statistical methods to analyse large amounts of data
SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Demonstrable written and oral English language communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to successfully liaise with people from other cultures
- Excellent listening, presentation and report writing skills with strong attention to detail
- Able to demonstrate intellectual curiosity and organisational leadership
- Demonstrable experience with Microsoft Office including PowerPoint and Excel functions
This position will involve about 20 percent travel, when it is safe to do so.
IPA is the preeminent global benchmarking and consultancy for capital projects. IPA guides capital-intensive organisations to establish the right combination of people, work process, and governance to maximise cost, schedule, safety, and operability performance. We have a dataset of nearly 21,000 capital projects as the basis of our work. Our clients are leading companies in the process, extractive, and technology sectors who conduct capital projects in the petroleum, minerals, infrastructure, chemicals, and renewables. IPA is committed to social and ethical responsibility and all global offices initiate or participate in local charity initiatives to support those in need.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
IPA offers an excellent remuneration and benefits package. Salary will be negotiated based on the successful candidate’s experience. Benefits available in the position include private medical cover, a highly competitive pension scheme, 23 holidays plus 8 public days, life assurance and critical illness cover, sponsored academic development, international exposure, travel opportunities, and structured career development.
Any offer of employment made to the successful candidate will be conditional upon the individual either having the right to work in the UK or successfully obtaining a work visa to enable them to take up employment in the UK within the timescales required by the company. There is also the requirement to be eligible to secure an entry visa to the USA enabling attendance at our Corporate Headquarters.
HOW TO APPLY
If this opportunity is of interest, please submit the form below with your cover letter including salary expectations and start date availability, as well as your CV.