- Position type:
- Reports to:
- Director or Business Manager
- Date posted:
- April 23, 2021
- Closing date:
- Open until filled
Are you passionate about what makes complex capital projects really tick—are you curious how the business and capital project worlds combine to deliver future assets? Do you love making connections and solving puzzles or problems? Are you detailed and focused, yet you also have broad interests and ideas and excellent communication skills? Do you enjoy analytical research work while also being comfortable in a client-facing role?
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an opening in our Ashburn, VA, office for a Project Analyst. The role is one with potential to become a consultant and trusted advisor to Fortune 500 companies.
IPA’s client portfolio includes world-leading companies in both the heavy and light industries around the world. IPA has offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, and Singapore. Major industry leaders globally rely on us to assess the health of their capital project systems and provide recommendations to improve their performance. We examine cost, schedule, and asset quality, with a strong focus on risk management activities to drive project success. The IPA project databases are unique and the most comprehensive sources of capital project experience in existence. IPA also takes a leading role in empirical research into the drivers of better projects and project systems, using our extensive databases of past project performance. Last, we provide consulting to our clients to help them improve their processes for capital management, governance, and organizational effectiveness.
IPA’s North America headquarters seeks candidates for the Project Analyst position with strong analytical skills and intellectual curiosity who are looking to contribute as a thought leader. The candidate’s interest in studying the factors that determine success in complex, technologically advanced projects and organizations is critical. Aptitude for and demonstrated skills to be a successful consultant include your ability to connect real life issues with the data and vice versa, to know when to ask more questions and when to just listen, and to continually learn and challenge yourself.
DAY IN THE LIFE
Responsibilities of the Project Analyst role include:
- Client-interfacing work to collect project technical data and uncover areas of risk
- Applying statistical analysis to quantify your findings
- Writing reports with insight and a customer-focus
- Delivering verbal (including virtual or in-person delivery) feedback and presentations to technical and business audiences
- Working collaboratively with capital project teams and project organizations to improve business competitiveness
- Conducting research on the drivers of project success and failure using statistics and IPA’s projects database
Project Analysts must have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships at senior levels with client companies
- Solid analytical skills
- Willingness to travel up to 30% of the time (once COVID restrictions permit)
- Strong work ethic
- High self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Positive attitude, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to work in a team
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Flexibility in taking on a variety of assignments
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
In terms of education and experience, we strongly prefer:
- 1 to 5 years of experience in a relevant position (e.g., analyst, consultant, project manager, researcher, statistician, engineer)
- A Master’s degree (or Bachelor’s degree plus relevant work experience) in petroleum or chemical engineering, science, economics, operations research, or allied fields
- Proven track record in analyzing risks, practices, and performance of capital projects in the process industry (infrastructure, energy, chemicals, mining/minerals, consumer products, etc.), and/or experience in a consultancy environment
- Background in carbon research/legislation or other aspects of the energy transition in North America
IPA is the preeminent global benchmarking and consultancy for capital projects. IPA guides capital‑intensive organizations to establish the right combination of people, work process, and governance to maximize cost, schedule, safety, and operability performance. We have a dataset of nearly 21,000 capital projects as the basis of our work. Our clients are leading companies in the energy, minerals, infrastructure, chemicals, and technology sectors. IPA is committed to social and ethical responsibility and all global offices initiate or participate in local charity initiatives to support those in need.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should complete the form below and include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement. IPA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.