- Position type:
- Project Research Division
- Reports to:
- Carbon Management and Sustainability Lead
- Date posted:
- June 1, 2021
- Closing date:
- Open until filled
Are you passionate about helping the energy and industrial sectors progress their low-carbon and sustainability agenda? Are you interested in learning about what makes capital projects really tick? Do you love making connections and solving puzzles? Are you that rare combination of detailed and focused, yet have broad interests and ideas? Do you enjoy analytical research work while also being comfortable in a client-facing role?
ABOUT THE ROLE
Independent Project Analysis, Inc. (IPA) has an opening in our US office in Ashburn, VA, for a Research Analyst on the Carbon Management and Sustainability team. This team is in an exciting and rapidly growing area of the company in which we leverage our expertise and unmatched data to advise our clients on their energy transition and sustainability journey, help improve their competitiveness, and adopt industry best practices to improve capital project performance. We work collaboratively with our clients to support their needs as they work to improve. The successful candidate will have the potential to become a consultant and trusted advisor in your specialization in Industry.
The Research Analyst focuses on developing analytical products that support our benchmarking business as well as targeted research to help clients in the energy, chemicals, renewables, mining and minerals, and other major commodity areas. The Research Analyst is also tasked with creating new products that drive the company forward and help our clients navigate a changing world. IPA is a company that values innovation, and the Research Analyst has a lead role this innovation effort.
IPA has offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, and Singapore. IPA’s client portfolio includes world-leading companies in both heavy and light industrial sectors around the world. Major industry leaders globally rely on us to assess the health of their capital project systems and provide recommendations to improve their performance. The IPA project databases are unique and the most comprehensive sources of capital project experience in existence. IPA also takes a leading role in empirical research into the drivers of better projects and project systems, using our extensive databases of past project performance.
IPA seeks a candidate for the Research Analyst position with strong analytical skills and intellectual curiosity who is looking to contribute as a thought leader. The candidate’s interest in studying project practices that affect project outcomes is critical. Aptitude for and demonstrated skills to be a successful analyst and consultant include your ability to connect real life with the data and vice versa, to know when to ask more questions and when to listen, and to show self-confidence as you learn and thrive.
DAY IN THE LIFE
The general responsibilities of the Research Analyst role include:
- Working on research studies focused on improving sustainability, cost, and schedule performance of capital projects across several different industry sectors
- Conducting statistical research and leading the development of new products and capabilities
- Working directly with clients to collect and analyze project technical data
- Developing reports and presentations with insight and a customer focus
- Delivering verbal (including virtual delivery) feedback and presentations
- Collaborating with cross-functional groups within IPA
- Working directly with capital project teams and project organizations to improve business competitiveness
Research Analysts must have excellent written and oral communication skills, display the interpersonal skills needed to develop and maintain relationships at senior levels with client companies, and have a demonstrated aptitude for learning new concepts and applying them quickly. The position requires solid analytical skills, a proven ability to turn an abstract concept or idea into something actionable, a track record of finding creative solutions to complex problems, and flexibility in thought and/or approach (as opposed to a rigid perspective). The successful candidate will work well in teams, but also be capable of managing multiple projects independently. The ideal candidate would have experience in applied research or consulting in carbon management and sustainability.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, science (environmental, chemistry, physics, geology), or related field and 2 to 3 years of relevant experience is required
- Alternatively, a graduate degree in engineering, science (environmental, chemistry, physics, geology), or related field and 1 to 2 years of experience related to energy, chemicals, or capital projects, with an interest in learning these fields, is suitable
- Proficiency in statistical analysis and STATA® software and knowledge and/or experience with capital projects is preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of programming (Python) is also desirable
This position will involve approximately 10 to 15 percent travel.
IPA is the preeminent global benchmarking and consultancy for capital projects. IPA guides capital-intensive organizations to establish the right combination of people, work process, and governance to maximize cost, schedule, safety, and operability performance. We have a dataset of nearly 21,000 capital projects as the basis of our work. Our clients are leading companies in the process, extractive, and technology sectors who conduct capital projects in the petroleum, minerals, infrastructure, chemicals, and renewables industries. IPA is committed to social and ethical responsibility and all global offices initiate or participate in local charity initiatives to support those in need.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, stable employment, and a long-term career path for professional growth and development. IPA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
REQUIRED APPLICANT DOCUMENTS
Applicants should submit the form below with a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, stable employment, and a long-term career path for professional growth and development. IPA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
- Cover letter (only applications with a cover letter will be considered)
- Salary requirement