Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) Project Cost Norms to Improve Early Decision-Making
Independent Project Analysis (IPA) is launching a multi-client research study to establish capital cost norms for carbon capture and storage (CCS) projects. Owner companies that participate in the study will gain access to essential CCS project cost metrics and insights to directly inform and improve early decision making for CCS projects. The study is slated to kick off in the 4th quarter of 2021 and those who join from the start will have the opportunity to directly influence the study scope as part of the steering committee.
Industry Needs Reliable Carbon Capture and Storage Data
CCS projects are increasing in frequency and global significance as regulatory entities, investors, and shareholders further drive the demand for decarbonization and sustainability. However, because relatively few CCS projects have been completed to date, owner companies do not have access to reliable cost estimate and performance data needed to inform decision-making. While other organizations have previously conducted CCS cost studies, the results are heavily reliant on assumptions and idealized scenarios. Adding to the complexity of unreliable cost metrics in literature is the uncertainty of developing CCS projects with non-commercial capture technologies.
What Sets IPA’s CCS Study Apart
In addition to establishing capital cost norms for CCS projects, IPA’s study will:
- Identify various implications of moving a CCS project from one location to another
- Address costs associated with first-of-a-kind projects in a new location
- Develop frameworks to assess risks and challenges of commercializing new technologies across different sectors
- Establish learning curves and metrics to help in early-phase technology screening and location
- Develop a common cost breakdown structure for CCS projects to enable fair comparison between projects and help drive adoption of results
IPA’s proven methodology from over the last 30+ years is unmatched:
- Study sourced by real CCS project data collected directly from project teams and participating companies
- All data normalized for time, location, and currency differences to enable robust analysis
- All data collected and aggregated securely and accurately
Companies interested in joining are urged to complete the form below to request more information. An IPA representative will follow-up to share the prospectus and discuss IPA’s database and methodology, requirements, timing, deliverable details, and more.